Search for anything!
Found 25 Illustrations
GLOBAL CUISINE - Simple ingredients, easy recipe, nutritious dish.
Steamed Fish Cantonese Style (Mom’s Recipe)
1-2 lbs whole fish (fresh or flash-frozen)
2 stalks scallions (cut into 4-5 inches long)
2 stalks scallions (thinly sliced)
2 inches fresh ginger (peeled and sliced)
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1) Prepare the fish. Pat dry cleaned and descaled fish. Optional and not necessary: Season fish gills with white pepper and rub outside of fish with corn starch.
2) Line a heat proof plate with scallions that were cut into 4-5 inches long. Place fish over scallions. Place ginger over fish.
3) Prepare the steamer. Use a wok or a large pot with lid. Fill pot with 1 inch of water. Place a steaming rack inside pot. Bring water to a boil.
4) Carefully place plate with fish on steaming rack and cover pot with lid. Steam fish for 10 min or until cooked through. Cooking time will vary slightly based on size and thickness of fish. Fish is done when knife cuts through easily. Add additional cooking time at 2 minute increments if necessary. Do not overcook or fish will become chewy.
5) While fish is steaming, heat up soy sauce with sugar until soy sauce is warmed and sugar melted. Set aside. Heat up vegetable oil and set aside.
6) When fish is done steaming, remove plate from pot and drain any excess water from plate. Remove ginger. Place remaining thinly sliced scallions over fish. Drizzle warmed oil over fish. Drizzle warmed sweet soy sauce along sides of fish. Serve immediately.