PRESS RELEASE | JUNE 1, 2011 | THEY DRAW AND COOK, THE BOOK
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
They Draw & Cook
107 Recipes Illustrated By Artists Around the World
By Nate Padavick and Salli Swindell
ISBN: 978-1616281380 :: 114 Pages :: $19.95 :: Paper over Board
Weldon Owen :: October 2011
Blending their passion for art and cooking, brother-sister team Nate Padavick and Salli Swindell started the innovative food blog “They Draw & Cook” (www.theydrawandcook.com) bringing recipes to life through illustrations submitted by users who hail from countries all over the world. Their goal was to turn food into art and art into food, and their experiment rapidly became an online sensation, the only one of its kind amongst the plethora of food blogs populating the web. Thousands of visitors a month come to the site to play with its interactive world map of over 1,500 recipes, submit an original entry of their own, or “Dial-A-Dinner” for different suggestions on what to cook.
Cooking has never been more fun nor has art ever been more edible than in They Draw & Cook: 107 Recipes Illustrated By Artists Around the World. This new cookbook features the best of the blog’s international recipes, which are guaranteed to inspire creativity through the richness, humor, and quality of every artistically rendered dish as it springs off the page and into your kitchen.
Contributors to They Draw & Cook range from professional illustrators to ad-hoc doodlers to talented beginners. Recipes also vary from providing specific, step-by-step cooking instructions to some that are open to individual interpretation encouraging at-home chefs to have fun playing with their ingredients and pushing their artistic boundaries.
They Draw & Cook is loosely organized into recipes suitable for breakfast followed by appetizers, main courses, desserts, and drinks. Make a meal a swanky or simple affair by flipping through this cookbook for inspiration, but expect company while you cook with every recipe’s pithy cast of characters combining two parts wit for every part instruction.
A selection of recipes from They Draw & Cook:
• Cure your hangover with the cheeky Bacon & Egg Toastie recipe (be sure to “nom nom” the final product as per the technical instructions.)
• Admire the gorgeous rendering of the Arugula Avocado and Pink Grapefruit Salad or if you’re more in the mood, oogle the sultry models strutting the Top Model Salad instead.
• Don’t be surprised to discover Monster’s Favourite Pumpkin Soup is frighteningly good.
• Know you’re not the only one on a budget when you whip up the Starving Artist Goo-lash (A.K.A. poverty casserole) with elbow macaroni and ground chuck (the fattier, the cheaper.)
• Revel in the oven-roasted richness of Chicken in Love , which if done properly, will emit heavenly musical notes at the end of the cooking process.
• Sing along as you prepare Spaghetti Alla Caruso , the way the famous opera singer liked to make his pasta.
• Try not to snort into the batter as you follow one of Garfield’s close relations through the steps for making the most chocolate-y Brownies you’ve ever tasted.
• And every good chef needs to stay hydrated with delicious minty Mojitos , refreshing Hong Kong Style Iced Tea , or a tropical Mango Lassi .
As founders Padavick and Swindell say in the book’s opening, “cooking is supposed to be fun, right?” At-home chefs will love TDAC artists’ humorous portrayals of kitchen scenes gone awry, as too often our dishes we make from cookbooks look nothing like the “food porn” images displayed on their glossy pages. But They Draw & Cook invites us to find beauty in the chaos, so like the contributing artists, we too gather the ultimate inspiration in the kitchen from the artistic process itself – whether that’s mixing flour and eggs for your red velvet cookies, or paint for your palette. This one-of-a-kind cookbook is a visual feast you won’t want to miss!
NOTE TO EDITORS PDF of the book is also available. Up to 5 recipes (& images) gratis. For more information, interviews, review copies and images, please contact Andrea Burnett 650.207.0917 or email@example.com.
FOR SALE ON AMAZON Follow this link (http://amzn.to/ie3mTu) to purchase They Draw & Cook on Amazon.com as well as "See Inside".
ABOUT THEY DRAW & COOK They Draw & Cook (www.theydrawandcook.com) is the world’s premier destination for illustrated recipes. Launched in 2010 by Studio SSS illustrators Nate Padavick and Salli Swindell, They Draw And Cook is the place for anyone with a passion for art and cooking to share their love of both by bringing their favorite recipes to life through illustration. Featuring recipes for main dishes, appetizers, desserts and drinks by professional and amateur artists and illustrators worldwide, They Draw And Cook believes cooking is fun, so recipes should be fun, too – encouraging people of all ages to get creative in the kitchen.